Knight Realms June 2017 Errata
- Posts: 5569
- Thank Yous: 2676
- Kitchen Staff
- The skill Literacy has been removed from the game and its cost refunded on all character cards! Any character may choose to have knowledge of the written Common language if she wishes. Skills that require Literacy as a prerequisite may now be purchased without it.
- The skill Teach has been removed from the game and its cost refunded on all character cards! Any character has the ability to teach skills and professions she possesses to any other character that qualifies for them. Teach is no longer a prerequisite for obtaining Heroic lists.
- Any character may now carry a corpse or unconscious target while moving at a walking pace.
- The skills Small Weapon, One Handed Edged, One Handed Blunt, Two Handed Edged, Two Handed Blunt, Bastard Edged, Bastard Blunt, Spear, Polearm, Thrown Weapon, and Javelin have been removed from the game and their cost refunded on all character cards! Any character may use melee or thrown weapons without needing a skill. Weapon skills are no longer a prerequisite for learning Proficiencies.
- The surge casting, verbal casting, concentration casting, and spellsinging casting methods have been removed from the game. See below:
- All casted effects are now activated by five seconds of concentration, during which the caster may roleplay however she wishes (appropriate to her casting class). Current verbals may still be used, but a minimum of five seconds of roleplay are required before casting any spell or effect or using a scroll or illumination. The rules involving invoking spells from items are unaffected by this change. Casting may still be interrupted by taking damage.
- The skills Battle Casting and Cantrip still allow the character to Surge Cast once per five seconds.
- The Silenced/Mute condition prevents a character from casting spells, regardless of whether she speaks while casting.
- The Broken limb condition no longer prevents a character from casting spells.
- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Wili wrote: To make sure I understand correctly, any player can now use any weapon?
Any weapon except Bow, Crossbow, and Arquebus.
Is it safe to assume that the warrior "______ Mastery" (blunt mastery, shafted mastery, etc.) skills will also be refunded?
For those of us that this drops us now below the required amount of build for our master list, will we be given some lenciency on that build amount until we can put the build back into the list?
Yes, just try to spend the build back into a list that would keep you qualified asap.
Silly question, but is it Literacy as in I can read that is being removed and not Literacy: Other? I ask because of foreign non-common literacies. THANKS!
The only language you do not need a skill for is Common (and the literacy of your race, if your race has one). Lit: Other still functions as it does currently.
I understand with the broken limb condition you can still cast, however what if you have both arms broken and need to throw a spell packet? Can you still do it?
You would need at least one functional arm to throw a spell packet or spellsurge/perfect cast, but you can self cast or touch cast.
Are those who received a weapon from a racial package going to receive some refund amount?
Not at this time.
Will these changes be live at the next game in a week?
Also, does the continual effect of Battlecasting stop prevent you from being interrupted while casting?
Yes, these changes will be live for this event.
Yes, Battlecasting still functions as it does now.
Also, in the flavor of connor's question, can you now cast while bound/imprisoned?
No, you may take absolutely no action while Held/Bound or Imprisoned (expect you may speak while Held/Bound if you are not also gagged)
Is Staff build being refunded too? :3
Yes, we missed that one :) All weapon skills except Bow/Crossbow and Arquebus are refunded.
OOG: Tori Turqman
Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang wrote: Is Unarmed combat being refunded?
Yes. (Stone Fists is not)
Dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. As long as I take 5 seconds of concentration I don't have to use any verbals for any of my spells?
Correct, you just need to do something to indicate that you are casting.
OOG: Tori Turqman
- Gold Boarder
- Posts: 848
- Thank Yous: 159
- Card Staff
Emelia Heist wrote: So learning how to use daggers last event was useless and I now need to pick up Florentine which I was just getting too. correct? so... with the left over build can i shove that to Florentine? or do i still have to go through the process of learning that this upcoming event?
We are not handling any rewrites at this time. As such you will still need to learn the skill Florentine at the upcoming event.
Reyna wrote: How does this effect racials that have a weapon skill built into them? Will the weapon skill be replaced with something comparable, or just stay there until the full change goes live?
Also, does this now mean Bastard Edge is completely eliminated from the game? I (and several others) have been under the impression that we would not be able to use Bastard weapons after the rules change, so are they going away now?
No Racial Packages are changing at this time.
Weapon sizes have not been changed at this time. As such, Bastard Weapons are still an option for use.
Jean wrote: So Wild Mages, Healers, and Psions (who previously could just stare and shoot) should plan on adding an "I'm obviously preparing a spell here" RP to their now-5 second concentration count? Will Wild Mages still be able to surge cast, as in can cast immediately but need to wait 5 seconds before casting again, since that was kind of their thing?
Yes, these three types of casters should incorporate RP into their 5-second concentration count.
No, Wild Mages are not able to surge cast without the skill Battlecasting.
Leliana wrote: When should we expect to see the build refunded and skills removed from our cards in the system?
The build will be refunded before the event. You can plan on having this as unspent build for the upcoming event.
Dame Laurent-Belmont wrote: Similar question to others asked re: healers/psions, since they've never needed verbals to use their abilities, are they now penalized for being silenced/otherwise unable to speak while attempting to cast?
Correct, any caster regardless of list is unable to cast if they are silenced.
Ilana Darkwood wrote: I'm guessing the RP change for Wild Mages can be explained under 'Man, you might want to get these chaos anchors done, because your lives are kind of complicated right now?' (I understand OOG it technically makes the problem worse for them in the end, but is it a good leap of logic to go with similar to how my Galladel heart is panicking right now?)
That's a reasonable way to RP the change :)
How will the ability to do nonverbal casting combine with the surge casting of battle casting? Will they work on separate counters aside from themselves? Will people be more or less able to concentrate for 5 seconds, cast, then surge cast immediately after, concentrate for 5 seconds, lather rinse repeat to effectively cast 2 spells every 5 seconds?
Does surge casting interrupt concentration? Can One with both effectively cast every 2.5 seconds through alternating battle casting and the 5 second count of regular casting?
If you have activated Battlecasting for a domain, you cannot choose to not surge cast that domain. You could concentrate five seconds to cast a fire spell, then surge cast a water spell, and keep doing that, but you cannot combine the casting methods for the same tree.
Concentration is defined as time spent uninterrupted to activate or maintain an ability. If the character takes any action other than invoking Latent defenses, the time is reset.
You may not invoke abilities except latent defenses while concentrating, so you may not cast other spells while doing so.
OOG: Tori Turqman
- Made of Bricks and Murder
- Posts: 3760
- Thank Yous: 1367
Dame Clytie Silverfang wrote: How will the caster heroic skills like Wand that allow for custom verbals be translated in this new system?
Wand still functions as is. It is a skill that allows you to use a single word to surge cast a spell, and remains unchanged by this update.
Are small and medium shields also being removed as skills this event?
No. There are no plans to remove the Shield skills now or in the future.
geezer wrote: Regarding proficiencies:
As 1HE has been removed as a skill, how are proficiencies being effected in the instance of one still using a 1HE possessing 1HE profs?
From above: "Weapon skills are no longer a prerequisite for learning Proficiencies." You can learn Proficiencies if you have them on a list you possess.
OOG: Tori Turqman
- Oren Tenderson
- Gold Boarder
- Be better than you were the day before.
- Posts: 591
- Thank Yous: 160
Do these new rules effect that, or would that still work the same way it has been until now?
I doubt I will need to know this before the event, but I would rather have the answer and not need it, than need it and have to work on assumption.
- Platinum Boarder
- Posts: 4489
- Thank Yous: 448
- Kitchen Staff
Master of the Mages' Guild
An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.
OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal
"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."