normal New rules: weapons and armor question.

• Alex
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Kingslayer
  • Thank Yous: 214
21 Feb 2018 13:55 #1 by Alex (Wormwood)
New rules: weapons and armor question. was created by Alex (Wormwood)
Sorry if this is included somewhere, but i couldn't find it!

Do weapons have base damage associated with them? Do different weapon types scale differently with profs(ex: medium versus large melee, bow vs thrown vs arquebus)

Do armor values reflect a single area, or both? ex: 5 points per pauldron, or 5 points for a pair of pauldrons.)

Why are there no rules for helmets? They are the most important piece of armor, the hardest to wear, and are expensive to buy! James personally promised me that helmets would see a big upgrade in the new rules, despite not giving a damn about them. feeling a little attacked.

thanks!

OOG: Alex B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nalick
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A bard doesn't sing and tell.
  • Thank Yous: 1316
  • New Player Marshal
  • Card Marshal
21 Feb 2018 20:17 #2 by Nalick (TheBardAbides)
Replied by Nalick (TheBardAbides) on topic New rules: weapons and armor question.
The armor section doesn't list them as such and in the Relic section, it says a helmet could be a Relic:
"A relic can be almost any worn accessory, such as a circlet, belt, brooch, ring, necklace, veil,
scarf, or mask. A weapon or item that would fall into an armor location category may not be a
relic; however, a piece of a suit of armor that does not fall into an armor location, such as a helm
or gorget, may be considered to be a relic. All relics, with the exception of some rare and special
items, expire one year from the month in which they were created."

If someone wears a helmet, is it anything more than garb?

• Cyfihi
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 713
  • New Player Marshal
  • Atmosphere Marshal
  • Marketing Team
  • Storyteller
  • Staff
22 Feb 2018 13:36 #3 by Cyfihi (tori)
Replied by Cyfihi (tori) on topic New rules: weapons and armor question.
You can find the base damage rules on page 174.

Melee Weapon
Melee weapons, or simple weapons, do not require a skill to use. This category includes small weapons (such as daggers), which deal a base of one damage; medium weapons (such as shortswords and maces), which deal a base of one damage; large weapons (such as greatswords, warhammers, and polearms), which deal a base of three damage; shafted weapons (such as staves and spears), which deal a base of two damage, thrown weapons, which deal a base of one damage; and javelins, which deal a base of three damage. Melee weapons are created by the talent, Forge/Repair Weapon.

Ranged Weapon
Ranged weapons require a skill to use. This category includes bows, crossbows, and arquebuses, which each deal a base of five damage. Arquebuses autohit their damage at up to a twenty-five foot range and the cap must go off for the gun to fire. This attack has a five second cooldown. Ranged weapons may not be used in melee combat or to block attacks. Ranged weapons are created by the Engineer talent, Forge/Repair Ranged Weapon.

Casting Phokus
Casting phoki require a skill to use. This category can include anything from wands, gems, tarot cards, holy symbols, or any other item to allow the caster to focus her power through it. The casting phokus deals a base of three damage as an autohit attack at a ten foot range, augmented by the character’s aspected damage type; this attack has a five second cooldown. Use of a casting phokus requires at least one free hand or for the phokus itself to be wielded in hand. This item is created by the Scholar talent, Forge/Repair Casting Phokus.

Base damage 1: Small Weapon, Thrown Weapon, Medium Weapon
Base damage 2: Shafted Weapon
Base damage 3: Large Weapon, Casting Phokus, Javelin
Base damage 5: Ranged Weapon

Regarding Proficiencies: Might Prof. grants twice as much damage to Large Weapons as Medium Weapons/Unarmed. So a character with one Might Proficiency would deal only 2 damage with a one handed sword or brawling; or he would deal 5 damage with a two-handed sword.
Accuracy Proficiency grants 3 damage always, but only applies to small/ranged weapons.
Weave Proficiency grants 1 damage but only applies to casting phokus.

Armor point values reflect the total area in that slot. So wearing one pauldron (or a set of pauldrons) will both grant you five armor points, as long as at least half the area is covered.

Helmets were left out of the Armor Locations for exactly that reason. They are really uncommonly used because of the lack of visibility, ability to hear people calling skills at you, etc. I think I've seen only three to four helmets used at all in the last five or so years of Knight Realms, and generally the people who wear them will take them off a few minutes into the fight. This is why we decided to remove them from the locations when we reduced the number (also to keep the number of components required an even number, for the purposes of Material Benefits.)

However, if you want to wear a helmet, you can still get a benefit from it, just not as base Armor points. Chapter V has rules on relics - basically the new version of non-artifact "magic" items. Helmets were one of the things we specifically had in mind when designing what could count as a relic. So for people who want to wear helmets and gain benefit from them, the option exists, but there is no pressure to wear them just to get their armor points.

OOG: Tori Turqman
Rules and Atmosphere Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (TheBardAbides), Mantel (sigma-j), Berek Orino (Andrew609)

• Cyfihi
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 713
  • New Player Marshal
  • Atmosphere Marshal
  • Marketing Team
  • Storyteller
  • Staff
22 Feb 2018 15:36 #4 by Cyfihi (tori)
Replied by Cyfihi (tori) on topic New rules: weapons and armor question.

Nalick wrote: If someone wears a helmet, is it anything more than garb?

It could be garb, or it could be a relic (or even an artifact!)

OOG: Tori Turqman
Rules and Atmosphere Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (TheBardAbides)

• Burkhart Jarlson
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A precious object without the strength to protect it is easily taken. Strength without something to protect is easily wasted.
  • Thank Yous: 132
28 Feb 2018 14:51 #5 by Burkhart Jarlson (steel_enigma)
Replied by Burkhart Jarlson (steel_enigma) on topic New rules: weapons and armor question.
I am sorry, as I am still having a bit of trouble with the material benefits aspect of these rules.

"When wearing armor equalling at least ten base AP, regardless of whether the armor grants
Armor points or not, the wearer gains the ability of the material type of which the armor is made.
She may benefit from no more than one use of each material ability from her armor per period,
even if she is wearing multiple pieces made of the same material, and no more than four total
from armor."

The question I have on the topic is whether or not the armor needs to be one single piece of that material to work.

I get that a chest plate of any material will automatically gain the material bonus of what it is made of as it grants 10 or more ap.

Bracers, greaves, and other such articles are all worth 5 ap. If i were to say, wear a pair of bracers and a pair of greaves that are made out of a different type of material than my chestplate, would i get a benefit from that material two as they combined equal 10?

I apologize if this has already been asked.

_________________________________________________________________________________
OOG: Josh Leib

Main:
Burkhart Jarlson
Son of the Heargen Clan
Legionaire, Artificer, Shaman
Squire to Sir Wolfgar of Ostcliff
Artificer of the Ostvolk

Alt:
Fen the Fun Faun
Musical Satyr
Available for Bars, Parties, Shows, and Personal Concerts
Accepts Gold, Gems, Ale, and kisses from beautiful women (just don't tell my wife)

• Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Made of Bricks and Murder
  • Thank Yous: 1656
  • New Player Marshal
  • Rules Marshal
  • Monster Marshal
  • Logistics Marshal
  • Kitchen Marshal
  • Marketing Team
  • Staff
07 Mar 2018 16:55 #6 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic New rules: weapons and armor question.
Yes, you would still get the benefit, as long as you have used at least 2 units.

In service to The Crown,
-Lord Admiral Aleister Tartaros the Phoenix
-Lord of Drega'mire
-Admiral of the Kormyrian Royal Navy

-Steve Oros
(Officer, Storyteller)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)

Moderators: Cyfihi (tori)
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Welcome!

Follow Us On:

Search

The Heavens

First Quarter Moon
First Quarter Moon
9 days old