Please take a moment to review this page before plunging into all of this website's content, and the forums. There's alot of material here, and this page is designed to give you a quick orientation to the most important things.
Knight Realms has a staff structure that is comprised of three basic levels of order. The Director, James Kimball, is the preeminent authority on everything, from rules to organization.
Serving under the Director are the Officers and Deputies. Officers and Deputies are entrusted with substantial responsibility at Knight Realms. Although each Officer oversees a specific aspect of the organization, all are capable of handling a broad scope of problems or concerns.
Serving under the Officers are Marshals. Marshals have very specific scopes of responsibility, but can always point you in the direction of the right person for issues outside their domains.
For complete details on the organization of Knight Realms, please visit the "Contact Info" section of the website.
The following are some important rules concerning the use of the Knight Realms forums. You will receive a more in depth listing of the forums policies upon creating a user account.
- All posts must be signed with your Out-Of-Game (as in, your personal) name. Knight Realms is a close and friendly community - we would like to know who is saying what!
- You may not post In-Game (the "Dragon's Claw Inn" forum) as a Player Character (PC) until your PC has been played at a Knight Realms event or festival, and then only if he or she has the skill "Literacy." You may not post In-Game as a Non-Player Character (NPC) without the permission of the Director.
- The "Dragon's Claw Inn" forum represents a wooden posting board situation in the common room of the inn within the town proper of Travance. The posting board is frequently attended by Baronial Guardsmen, as a part of their assigned duties when patrolling the inn. The guards that protect the Inn will automatically tear down (In-Game) any post that is not in the "common" language (English), or that would insult nobility. Other posts may be torn down by the order of a noble. Due to the frequent presence of guards, no one who is common can claim to tear down a post, as the guards would intervene. If you make a post that is torn down, you will receive a Private Message from an administrator explaining why it was removed - which may be an In-Game or Out-Of-Game reason. If you replied to a post that was torn down, you may not be notified about its removal - typically only the author of the original post is informed.
- On any forum, you may not ask for In-Game information (or for information about someone) in an Out-Of-Game manner. For example, you may not post "Would all characters with rogue professions email me," or "Would everyone under 10th level post here so I know who you are." You could, however, post to the "Dragon's Claw Inn" forum and ask if there are any rogues in town. We can't guarantee what will happen to your character after making such an inquiry, however.
- Please, please, PLEASE read the website before asking questions about the game. 90% of all questions are already answered on this site, either in this section (New Players) or in the Online Rulebook sections. There's also a Search function (over on the right) to help you find specifc subjects you may be looking for.
The Online Rulebook is a work in progress, and we are aware it is difficult to take it all in! The Knight Realms Staff is making an effort to simplify the rules and make them easier to understand, remember, and use, by revising some older sections of the rulebook to make it more streamlined. Still, it is best if you take the time to read it through at least once, and to attempt to look things up before posting online asking about a rules question. The Table of Contents will help guide you to the right place, and the website has a Search function built into it to help find what you are looking for.
What To Read First?
What follows is a checklist of content on this website that a new member should review when he or she is getting ready to come to a KR event. If you are able to go down this list and answer yes to most or all of them, then you should have an easy time getting in the swing of things at your first event and onward.
- Have I read and do I understand the Knight Realms Policies?
- Have I read all of the information in the "New Players" section of the website?
- Have I checked out the Downloads section of the website, for such useful things as the New Character Worksheet, Verbals Cheat Sheet, and Wavier forms?
- Have I introduced myself to the community of the game by either saying “Hello” on the message boards and/or by sending an email to the New Player Officer at: ?
- Have I at least browsed the rulebook that is provided on the website to acclimate myself to the rules and structure of the game?
- Have I looked through the amendments section for updates and corrections to rules that are particularly important to the character I want to play?
- Have I planned for the event weekend by packing appropriate clothes and costuming, bedding, and other necessities such as toiletries and medications?
- Do I know when and where to check in for the event and to receive my character card or NPC instructions?
- Am I aware that New Player Training is held at 9:00 P.M. on the Friday night of every event, in the Barn?