Hello, I figure I ought to take the time to explain my present... condition, since it's, well to be honest, absolutely bonkers, and will be very confusing to anyone who doesn't know what's going on. I'm going to include all of my observations. So in Feb I was taken by a discordant, a being that is the end result of a desire to corrupt and alter in some cases fate, and in some cases time, and in some cases both. The being wanted me to be like it, by "silencing" the fate strand of someone I knew, the closer the better. It provided the ability to "silence" a fate strand, and the ability to perceive the strand of every being present when a number of the town came to save me. This included the discordant, and so that was the strand I silenced.
(Which, hey, I never really took the time to stop and say thanks to everyone that came to get me. A lot of you I expected... a lot I didn't. It was a kindness, and I can't say I wasn't in anyway at fault, so... I appreciate it, a lot. I owe you each one.)
So I "silenced" the discordant. I put it in quotes cause even though I could do it, I don't fully understand the metaphysics of it. In doing so, the discordant broke apart, and became trapped in a watch that is now bound to me. Somehow now echoes of fate, exist within this watch, and for periods get to take over my body. These aren't alternate timelines, they are roads not taken. Versions who remember different histories, and different relationships, different alignments and even different skills.
- When they take control it's for roughly four hours, sometimes longer or shorter (give it a two hour variable in either direction)
- When they take control I am still fully aware of everything that is happening, and experience events as if I'm present.
- When they take control, it is complete. I am unable to effect what actions they take
- So far, there are three alternates, but I know that list isn't complete. - "Puck" is the first incarnation to show up. A swashbuckling alternate who's past involves him becoming a noble in Vallorn, only to be mind controlled during the civil war, and forced to fight against the town. Eventually he was freed, and has only been in Travance for three or so years. He has cavalier training, and is tied to order. After the point where he appeared in town, he can only remember events he has directly experienced while in control of the body.
- "The Professor" is the second incarnation to show up. His history is the same as mine to a point, notably the events in which Eden took over the world. Travance won for him, but never re-set time. Everyone who died when Eden took over stayed dead. Magnus, Starling, Aliester, Jun, and so forth are all gone in that world. In an effort to fill a gap, with Belbereth's help, he became a mage, and expemplar of the unicorn. If you engage with any version that's not me, this one you can trust. He has most of the same experiences and will recognize most people in the town as who they actually are. He can also remember events that other iterations like Puck encounter, but nothing that I do.
- "The Margrave" fancies himself a world conqueror. In his version of events he rules half of Kormyre. Travance is a lot more brutal, though it's more of a pain for him. He's made a bunch of deals with demons, is undead and uses chaos like a pro. I don't think he can be controlled by the hexers in the town. I think he plans to try and take over this world, and will do his best to recruit people to do it. I know this may seem like an easy thing to write off, but he's got a lot of the same skills I do. The Margrave, like Puck doesn't remember anything after his initial arrival that he didn't personally experience. Okay so the short version was... not short, but that's the general gist of it. Each version still has a lot me in them, and generally should be capable and willing to help in dire situations (yes even the Margrave.) So until we figure this out, I'm sorry for the weirdness. Extra notes - Before I was rescued, Puck appeared in town. He was rescuing someone when he was mortally wounded, the Discordant appeared before him, and he stole from it a book that brought him to the town. The book described some of the events of my life, but not in complete detail. After Puck's four hours were up he transformed into other versions. I woke up in town as the Professor. The book not only describes my life, but has several missing pages right at the beginning. Since the story starts with my birth I don't know what the book would describe before that. Selby through the use of archon teaching was able to find the apparent author of the book, and saw that she had written hundreds describing hundreds of versions of "Jackdaw's" story. Starling scried on the pages torn out of the book and found them on the floor of a workshop somewhere. I tried writing in the book, and we were sent a message that we should not be messing in someone else's story (aka one should not try to re-write another author's story. Not that the story wasn't about me.) If anyone else did anything I'm not sure what it was, I was stuck in Puck at the time.